Al Haig and Secure Communictions

About two weeks ago while making a point about the
absurdity of taking government on its word, I mentioned an
incident involving then Secretary of State Al Haig.
Specifically the point was in reply to Mr. Sternlight's
assertion that because a public relations official for the
NSA had made statements regarding the Data Encryption
Escrow plan's harmless nature and the equally harmless and
benign character of the NSA's paternal hand, they were
unquestionably authentic and complete.
Among other points, I indicated that there was significant
reason to doubt bald assertions made by government
officials, especially in a public relations capacity.  One
of the examples I used relied on the events following the
attempted assassination of President Reagan, (who's name I
then spelled incorrectly).
Specifically I noted that Secretary of State Haig appeared
before the press and announced (in some form or another)
that he was in charge.  The implication in my statement was
that Secretary Haig was not in charge at all, and that
relying on government to operate by its own rules, even
with the scrutiny of the press is silly.
An irate Haig supporter, who also defended the President's
name (by correcting my spelling error anyhow) insisted that
this event was a big fabrication by the press and that
indeed Secretary Haig was in authority in some way or
another.  He insisted the press had blown the issue out of
proportion.
I was forced out of town for some time, and was unable to
reply immediately.  I bring up the point now to clarify my
information, and to tie in some interesting concerns
regarding secure communications and operations in a
Emergency.

Secretary of State Al Haig was not next in line for either
succession stream, and his asserting so in the national
media was a gross error.

The relevant authorities are the Department of Defense
Directive 5100.30 (1971) and the Constitution of the United
States.
The first sixteen successors in the Presidential line of
succession are:

1. The Vice President
2. Speaker of the House of Representatives
3. President pro tempore of the Senate
4. Secretary of State
5. Secretary of the Treasury
6. Secretary of Defense
7. The Attorney General
8. Secretary of the Interior
9. Secretary of Agriculture
10. Secretary of Commerce
11. Secretary of Labor
12. Secretary of Health and Human Services
13. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
14. Secretary of Transportation
15. Secretary of Energy
16. Secretary of Education.

The national command authority line kicks in when the
President and his/her successors are dead or cannot be
located and immediate U.S. military decisions must be made:

1. Secretary of Defense
2. Deputy Secretary of Defense
3. Secretary of the Army
4. Secretary of the Navy
5. Secretary of the Air Force
6. Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
7. Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering
A plethora of the Assistant Secretaries of Defense and
General Council to the Defense Department in order of their
lengths of service.

etc.

When President Reagan was injured, and the Vice President
(George Bush at the time) was out of town, the successor to
the Presidency was the Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neill.
The Secretary of State was two more rungs down the ladder.
The Secretary of State appears nowhere in the command
authority side of succession.  Casper Weinberger was the
then Secretary of Defense and next in line there.  Al
Haig's source of sovereignty?  Control of the national
media?  Perhaps that's a touch conspiracy oriented, but how
does the proper authority convince the citizenry that he or
she should be followed when another authority figure is
effectively seizing the reigns?  Herein lies the stuff of
constitutional crisis.
It is the responsibility of the Federal Emergency
Management Agency to keep track of the Presidency and the
line of succession.  The question becomes, if a figure
claims authority how is this verified, and enforced?

Former FEMA director Giuffrida:
"One of the things we discovered is there was no
authentication system.... if [someone] got on the horn and
said, 'I'm the successor,' and somebody said 'prove it,'
[no one could]."

Of course this was some time ago, but how much things have
changed is a real question.

It seems to me that the Unites States has never recognized
the potential problems that national crises may cause.  I
cite a particularly interesting tale that might be amusing
if it were not so alarming.

On the presidential emergency evacuation procedures from
National Security Advisor Brzenzinski's Memoirs:

I called in the person responsible for evacuating the
President in the event of a crisis.  I obtained a detailed
account on how long it actually would take to evacuate the
President by helicopter.... I ordered him to run a
simulated evacuation right now, turning on my stopwatch.
The poor fellow's eyes...practically popped: He looked so
surprised.  He said, "Right now?"  And I said "Yes, right
now."  He reached for the phone and could hardly speak
coherently when he demanded that the helicopter immediately
come for a drill.  I took one of the secretaries along to
simulate the First Lady and we proceeded to the South Lawn
to wait for the helicopter to arrive.  It took roughly two
and a half times longer to arrive as it was supposed to.
We then flew to a special site from where another
evacuation procedure would be followed.  To make a long
story short, the whole thing took roughly twice as long as
it should have.  Moreover, on returning we found that the
drill somehow did not take into account the protective
services and we were almost shot down.

There have been significant changes in technology no doubt
since the Carter Administration.  For one thing fiber
optics seem to present some resistance to EMP effects that
before threatened normal lines of communication, but how
have authentication methods changed?  It seems to me that
there are great potentials for advance in authority
authentication with new technologies not limited to and
newer than public key cryptography.  On the other hand it
seems the United States culture of vulnerability, justified
by theories of Mutually Assured Destruction or budgeting
concerns, is so strong that such advances would never take
hold in a meaningful way.  Can you see a reporter in the
famed President Haig press conference asking:
"Excuse me Secretary Haig, may we examine your FEMA signed
authority key?"

- -uni- (Dark)