Reinventing the wheel, was Re: Proposal: some more standard remailer features

In message Tue, 5 Apr 1994 22:50:46 -0700, [email protected]  writes:
> This is reminiscent of MIME.  Have you looked at that?  They already deal
> with encapsulation as well as message splitting, I think.  You could copy
> their message formats without committing to full MIME support.  Plus it
> might be possible to add encryption and remailing support to MIME mail
> user agents by using the hooks they already provide.

One major reason that I pay attention to the IETF-EDI discussions on
EDI over the Internet it to make sure that someone brings up
encrypting EDI transactions. I'm convinced that EDI over the 'net will
explode, and strong encryption (PGP, PEM, etc.) will be required.

The IETF-EDI is basing their work on MIME. While it isn't perfect,
it is an existing standard, has a published RFC, etc.

I strongly second Hal's suggestion that developers of mailers and remailers
look at MIME and use it as a starting point.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 [email protected]
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>