Export Restricitons of Crypto

>Message 4/14  From Senator Bedfellow                Apr 10, 94 02:39:14 pm -0400

>Date: Sun, 10 Apr 1994 14:39:14 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Export Restrictions of Crypto
>To: [email protected]

>Does anyone have the cite for the restrictions on the export of crypto,
>where crypto is classified as munitions for export purposes?

>I know ITAR says absolutely nothing about crypto, so its a US goverment
>thingee.

>Thanks

>Ben.

Take a look in International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
(22 CFR 120-130), Department of State, Office of Munitions Control,
November, 1989.  See Part 121 - The United States Munitions List,
Category XIII - Auxiliary Military Equipment, paragraph (b), quoted as
follows:

	(b) Speech scramblers, privacy devices,
cryptographic devices and software (encoding and
decoding), and components specifically designed
or modified therefore, ancillary equipment, and
protective apparatus specifically designed or modi-
fied for such devices, components, and equip-
ment.

Regards,

Dave