Re: MacPGP and AOL

>Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 09:03:37 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Duncan Frissell <[email protected]>
>On Mon, 11 Apr 1994, tim werner wrote:
>
>> Late last year, in response to a "bulletin" from eff, I sent money to some
>> lawyer (in Colorado, I think) for the Phil Zimmerman defense fund.  Was
>> I defrauded?  How embarrassing.
>>
>> If I dig out the cancelled check, perhaps someone on the list can tell me
>> more?
>>
>> tw
>
>Don't do that!
>
>Even though Phil has not been officially proceeded against in any way has
>has hired a lawyer and spent lots of money.  I was just trying to make it
>clear that nothing has actually happened yet.  If one may have to mount a
>major defense against a federal criminal prosecution, one has to prepare
>in advance.

I guess what I was thinking about was a thread in comp.org.eff.talk about
some bogus eff press release that happened some time ago.  My concern is
that I was taken in by this.

Does anyone know if there was an appeal for contributions to a legal
defense fund in that bogus press release?  I didn't follow the thread that
closely, especially after it seemed like it turned into a flame war.

Fifty bucks isn't going to break me, but I would sure feel better if I knew
it went where I thought it was going.  On the other hand I will certainly
feel worse if I find out it didn't.  Maybe ignorance is bliss.

tw