Alias in phone book

I doubt it's illegal to use an alias for the white pages.  Pac Bell
listed me as "Spaceman Spiff" in the '87 or '88 Palo Alto white
pages.  Only a few people bothered to call and see if there was
"really" a Spaceman Spiff at my number :)

The reasons for the strange name were: I didn't want to pay for an
unlisted number, and Spaceman Spiff was my pseudonym on a BBS that
discouraged use of real names.

Of course the law may have changed; Pac Bell may have let my request
slide by accident; I'm not a lawyer etc.

Just supplying a point of information on the subject,

- Jim Nitchals
([email protected])