Re: Another reason for anonymity

[email protected] (Sandy Sandfort) writes:

[...]
>Furthermore, American law is generally more "free speech" oriented
>with regard to what would otherwise be considered libel or slander.
[...]

Mike Godwin has a good article about American libel law and the Net.

ANNOTATED REFERENCES

(All these documents are available on-line. Access information follows.)

=================<a href="ftp://ftp.eff.org/pub/CAF/law/libel_2.IW">
law/libel_2.IW
=================</a>
* Expression -- Libel -- Public Figures and the Net

"Libel, Public Figures, and the Net" by Mike Godwin, an article for
Internet World. Argues that in most cases, replying to defamation on
the Net is more effective than and preferable to a lawsuit.

=================
=================

If you have gopher, you can browse the CAF archive with the command
   gopher gopher.eff.org

These document(s) are also available by anonymous ftp (the preferred
method) and by email. To get the file(s) via ftp, do an anonymous ftp
to ftp.eff.org (192.77.172.4), and then:

  cd  /pub/CAF/law
  get libel_2.IW

To get the file(s) by email, send email to [email protected]
Include the line(s):

  connect ftp.eff.org
  cd  /pub/CAF/law
  get libel_2.IW
--
Carl Kadie -- I do not represent EFF; this is just me.
 [email protected], [email protected] =