Re: Autentication gadgets

On Mon, 18 Apr 1994, Johan Helsingius wrote:

> I remember seeing some discussion about the security gadgets people from Bell
> Labs, amonst others, used for logging in from remote sites. It was a simple
> credit-card-calculator-like challenge-response device. Any pointers?
>
> 	Julf

A similar one they use at the white house uses a card system.  The card
has an internal clock that is synchronized once to a clock on the system.
The card uses a special algorithm that changes the password every second
or so in sync with the main system.  When you plug into the system, it reads
your card, and if it is in sync, then you are allowed access.

===-|)/\\/|V|/\/\ (_)/_\|_|\_/(_)/_\|_| Stop by for an excursion into the-===
===-|)||| | |\/\/  mud.crl.com 8888 (_) Virtual Bay Area!                -===