Re: Milgram & Authority (+Ethics)

Jeff Davis says:
> >> 	March/April 1976-  I'd just gotten divorced and the bullet hole in
> >> 	my abdomen was healing quite nicely.
> >Really? I was under the impression his stuff had been published
> >substantially before that date -- certainly that seems to be a quite
> >late year for him to have been presenting a paper on it.
>
> Stanley Milgram reorganized the very foundations of ethical human research
> with his experimental procedure.  He was very active in structuring ethical
> human experimentation for years.  That's why my question was phrased, "ethical
> questions aside..."
>
> Some o' y'all don't know much about folks, do ya.

Jeff, Perry isn't questioning your description of Milgram's experiments,
he was questioning the dates - '76 seems awfully late for that work
to have been new and exciting (as opposed to old and exciting.)
(Yes, that may imply he's questioning your credibility,
or delving into deeper philosophical questions like whether you're
really just another incarnation of Detweiler :-)

On the other hand, it may be that the time you heard Milgram speaking
wasn't the *first* time he'd given his talk - he's probably
spoken on the topic a few gazillion times, especially if he's
talking to college audiences...