Re: BlackNet--the Truth

On Tue, 19 Apr 1994, Timothy C. May wrote:

> I don't have time right now to dig up my last couple of explanations
> of this experiment, so let me summarize for the new folks.

[A very good outline of the history of blacknet followed... deleted to
preserve bandwidth.]

> And so that's the story.
>
> --Tim May
I have something to add here... since the original blacknet message
release, I have encountered about 7 additional blacknet posts... posts
presumably not of T.C.May origination. One had to do with some TEMPEST
monitoring eqip for sale, one claimed to have knowledge of some major
AT&T exec's sexual preferences, yet another was offering pirated software
for sale (what a joke!). Each of these posts have had thier own PGP
public key attached, and a list of acceptable 'pools'. Upon adding each
key to my key ring, they each claim to belong to
<[email protected]> or whatever (all identicle) but had
different key id #s and one was even less than 1024bits! (the pirate
warez key if I remember right...)

My point being, even if Tim didn't originaly intend for it to be a 'real'
thing, some people have taken it to heart. Hell, if I ever have anything
shady to buy or sell (me? no, *never*!) I might just roll myself a
blacknet key and do it that way myself.

On a lighter note, Thanks a billion to everyone who posted a "Blacknet is
real, man, stay away from them!" message today, I nearly died laughing.

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
[email protected]	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11