How to explain...

Hi folks!

   I have something I'm sure someone on the list can help with.  I need
   to explain to someone who is "mostly-illiterate" about computers why
   it is so difficult to break an RSA or DES type code.  This person is
   a good user and a beginning programmer.  I understand intuitively,
   but not well enough to explain it.  His thinking is that if you have
   formula X to go from plain to crypt then just reverse X and you'll
   have the decryption algorithm.  He figures that reversing a math
   formula could be difficult, but given a desire and a few weeks that
   nearly any formula can simply be reversed.

   If you can explain it well and simplistically I'd appreciate it.
   (As I said, I intuitively understand, but can't explain it well.)

	Thanks,
	   Jim

--
   Tantalus Inc.        Bringing people together     Jim Sewell-KD4CKQ
2407 N. Roosevelt Blvd.   to have a little fun.  Internet: [email protected]