Re: Milgram & Authority

> From: Duncan Frissell <[email protected]>
>
> Milgram, Stanley
> --------------------------------
> [...] Milgram took the results as
> proof that ordinary people will inflict pain on innocent people when
> commanded by an authoritative figure.

I would agree, but I'd add an important qualifier: "in this country"
(or "in this world," or whatever).  I think it's important to keep
in mind exactly how obedience to authority is inculcated in people
from birth.  _I_ don't think it's inborn.  The goal should be breaking
this pattern and, if it's too late for adults, at least try to raise
kids to think for themselves and not follow orders so unquestioningly.

   --Dave.