re: Crypto scripting language

>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 09:00:10 -0700
>From: Hal <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re:  Crypto scripting language
>
>From: [email protected]
>> I wrote a cryptographic scripting language that has been implemented in
>> a commercial product. [...]
>
>I'd like to hear more about your scripting language.
>[...] In the mean time, perhaps you could describe the language here.  What
>is its syntax like?  Interpreted or compiled?  What kind of special crypto
>support does it have?

> [...]
>Hal

Well, I don't know anything about [email protected]'s crypto scripting
language but according to my manual for Dolphin Encrypt Advanced
Version (a different product from DE) the program supports a script
language.  It's an interpreted language.  It's explained in an 11-page
appendix in the manual.  From a quick perusal:  The script is
contained in a textfile.  You run DE with a command like DE2 @XXX.SCR
and it reads XXX.SCR and interprets the commands.  Apparently the
script language is designed only for use with the Dolphin Encrypt
program itself (so you can't use it to encrypt with DES, etc.).

I don't have much use for scripting crypto applications myself (though
if there were lots of encryption/decryption to be done daily I could
see a use), so I can't post any that I've written for my own use only,
but here's two of the sample scripts from the DEAV disk:

#TEST2.SCR
#Script for testing Dolphin Encrypt
#Last mod.: 1992-05-02

if not there_are_any C:\TEMP\*.TXT
    output:
    output: There are no C:\TEMP\*.TXT
else
    encrypt C:\TEMP\*.TXT C:\TEMP\*.ENC /c /b8
    if exit_status = 0
        decrypt C:\TEMP\*.ENC C:\TEMP\*.DEC /b-
        if exit_status = 0
            run DCOMPARE C:\TEMP\*.TXT C:\TEMP\*.DEC
            if exit_status = 0
                output: File comparisons OK
            else
                output: File comparison error!
            endif
        endif
    endif
endif

// VIEWENC.SCR
// A script for decrypting and viewing text files in the current directory
// which have been encrypted as files with extension .ENC.
// No input parameters required
// Use: DE2 @VIEWENC.SCR
// Last modified: 1993-03-25

set escape on                   // Allow termination from script
                                // by pressing the Escape key.
output                          // Print a blank line
decrypt *.ENC *.DEC             // Decrypt the .ENC file(s)
if not successful               // Check if decryption successful.
    output: Decryption error!   // Print message if not.
else                            // Otherwise:
    beep                        // Pause so that user can
    wait: Press a key ...       // verify successful decryption.
    save screen                 // Save the video screen.
    DFR *.DEC                   // View the plaintext files using DFR
    restore screen              // Restore the video screen.
    beep                        // Get the user's attention.
    output                      // output a blank line
    output: Decrypted plaintext files:
    DIR *.DEC /w                // Show decrypted files on disk.
    output                      // output a blank line
    ask: Purge decrypted file(s)?
    if answer = Y
        purge *.DEC /d         // /d means display file names.
        if not successful       // If error occurred
            beep                // attract user's attention
            wait                // and wait for a keypress.
        endif
    endif
    if printer                  // If output redirected to printer
        eject                   // issue a formfeed.
    endif
endif

Lessee now ... for those interested, Dolphin Software's address is
... got it right here ... 48 Shattuck Square #147, Berkeley, CA 94704.