SHA and Capstone [Re: Liberating Schneier's Code?]

> Matthew J Ghio <[email protected]> writes:
> Capstone chips do not use MD5.  The algorithm in question was the
> gubmint's Secure Hash Algorythm, which is not the same as MD5.  I don't
> think capstone uses SHA anyway...

Yes, Capstone uses SHA.  I append a chunk from the most recent NIST
Capstone release.  Do we start calling it SHA-1?  Will Capstone chips
with SHA-2 interoperate with the ones already burned?

Hmm.

	Jim Gillogly
	7 Thrimidge S.R. 1994, 16:37
		    CAPSTONE CHIP TECHNOLOGY

CAPSTONE is an NSA developed, hardware oriented, cryptographic
device that implements the same cryptographic algorithm as the
CLIPPER chip.  In addition, the CAPSTONE chip includes the
following functions:

     1.   The Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA) proposed by NIST
	  as a Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS);

     2.   The Secure Hashing Algorithm (SHA) recently approved as
	  FIPS 180;

     3.   A Key Exchange Algorithm based on a public key
	  exchange;

     4.   A general purpose exponentiation algorithm;

     5.   A general purpose, random number generator which uses a
	  pure noise source.