Re: This is an abstract from a talk at Cornell University...

From: [email protected] (James A. Donald)
> Peter Wayner writes
> > Richard Feynman and others have challenged the traditional Turing
> > machine model of computation.  A new model of computation based
> > on quantum mechanics has recently been proposed.  It is too early
> > to know whether quantum computers will be practical.  However, it
> > is shown that quantum computers can factor integers and compute
> > discrete logarithms in polynomial time.
>
> It is news to me that a quantum computer can do this, but
> is seems plausible that it could.
>
> Factoring is a member of a class of problems for which it
> is plausible that quantum computers have capabilities
> fundamentally superior to classical computers.

I would be surprised if quantum computers had the capability to factor
in polynomial time.  The special capabilities that I have seen claimed
for quantum computers have a probabilistic component, so that, in effect,
you can do a calculation n times faster but have only a 1/n chance of
getting an answer.  (This is an oversimplification but gives the idea.)
In the context of the Many-Worlds interpretation of QM, you might say
that the various instances of the quantum computer spanning the multi-
verse can be made to work together, but by a sort of conservation of
information production, only a fraction of the individual universes of
the multiverse get the answer.

The one loophole that I see is that this term "quantum computer" covers a
lot of territory.  They might sneak in some infinities in addition to adding
the strictly quantum capabilities.  It is known that ordinary computers which
can hold arbitrarily-large numbers (and do arithmetic on them in one time
step) can factor in polynomial time.  If the definition of your quantum
computer is so broad that you can squeeze in some outrageous capability like
this, then the claim of polynomial-time factoring is more plausible.

Hal