Re: NYT op-ed May 8

: On Tue, 10 May 1994, Paul E. Baclace wrote:
:
: > I just tuned-in last night...Has anyone discussed the NYT op-ed by
: > David Gelernter (associate prof. at Yale)?  It was accompanied by a
: > comic "the first wiretap" and Gelernter says common sense dictates
: > that wiretaps be preserved and he wants the digital telephony bill
: > passed.
: >
: > Paul E. Baclace
: > [email protected]
:
: I sent a message on same into the void on Sunday.  If anyone has it, I
: would appreciate it if they would repost it (I was unsubscribed to the
: list at the time.)
:

Here it is...

:
: I've received no cypherpunks mail for 24 hours so this may be old news
: but...
:
: David Gelernter, author of Linda and recent victim of the UnaBomber,
: writes in support of the DTI and Clipper.  "Wiretaps for a Wireless Age"
: is on the Op-Ed page of the Sunday New York Times.
:
: I will be writing a Letter to the Editor and others should as well.  Will
: someone who has access pick this up and post it.  It's very important.
:
: It has some factual flaws:
:
: "What kind of half-wit criminal would...return a rental van that played a
: starring role in a big-budget terrorist spectacular?"
:
: But it represents as strong a statement of their position as Safire's
: column was of ours.
:
: Brilliant bit:
:
: "Privacy buffs are often big fans of gun control and the Endangered
: Species Act; some versions of gun control restrict the objects you may
: keep in your own home, and the species act has been interpreted in a way
: that drastically restricts the ways citizens may use their land."
:
: Of course many of us are not fans of gun control or the Endangered Species
: Act.
:

	--Eric