Re: Here they come...

<In mail David Mandl said:>

> flame wars, abuse, and out-of-control sociopaths are destroying the
> self-regulating Eden of the net.

  Unfortunately I agree with this statement for the most part.

> rumblings of a call for some kind of "responsible regulation" of the
> net.

  This one I do not agree with though.  Who can regulate it, what are
  the penalties for violation, how can you prove I typed this, etc.

> The pedophiles we all run into by the thousands every day are
> mentioned in the piece, as are the "pornographic pictures [...] traded
> in great volume."  Also, "virtually every network, large and small,

  Unfortunately, newsgroups like alt.sex.bestiality and erotica picture
  groups make this point hard to defend against.

> [...] 'My fear is that this will be a cyber-revisiting of the blacklisting
> that was prevalent in the 50's,' Mr. Hayes wrote.  'Eventually, I predict
> that such site kill files will be used to censor politically unpopular
> views (like mine, for example).'"
>
> Think about that next time you put someone in your killfile.

  There is a difference between a site kill file that blocks everyone
  who works at AT&T from conversing with people that work at MCI, and
  my personal kill file that says I don't want to hear from Jim Nalbandian
  or Detweiler.

  With personal kill files they have the right to speak and I have the
  right not to listen. ;)

  Jim
--
 Tantalus Inc.          Jim Sewell      Amateur Radio: KD4CKQ
 P.O. Box 2310          Programmer           Internet: [email protected]