Re: Skipjack backdoor? NOT!

> If they were that smart, they'd simply have made Skipjack weak enough to
> easily break, and not cause all the outcry by suggesting escrows.

	The thing is, the rest of the law enforcement agencies and the
government have wised up to how easily people can be monitored on the
Internet and other computer networks. Now, these other agencies want the
NSA's ability to monitor encrypted communications, but the NSA, in
typical spook fashion, is understandably reluctant to let other agencies
in on its deep dark secrets of cryptanalysis. So, they created the
Clipper scheme, which is a compromise.
	[1] It has a key-escrow scheme, so those other agencies, who
actually have to worry about little things like the validity of searches
and the Constitutionality of their actions, can go through proper
channels and legally obtain the plaintext of the messages.
	[2] My guess is that Skipjack is compromised in some way (not
releasing the algorithm was *really* suspicious) or that the NSA can
easily break 80-bit keys, so that the NSA can continue to have a leg up
on all of the other agencies (ie they don't have to deal with the key
escrow departments or other little trivial legal details).
	Considering how easily RSA-129 was broken, my guess is that
80-bit keys are a joke for the NSA.

	All IMAO, of course.

--
Michael Brandt Handler					 <[email protected]>
Philadelphia, PA, USA	      PGP v2.3a public key via server / finger / mail