Re: Extropian Justice

Ray writes:
 > Tim writes:
 > > Ironically, I found that the legal code *caused* many flames, for
 > > various reasons. This is my interpretation, and I "assign credit" (in
 > > genetic programming terms) for dozens of flames between various
 > > parties to the existence of a legal code that encouraged/facillitated
 > > the filing of charges and countercharges, the issuance of warnings and
 > > other judgements, and the seemingly endless debate about all of these
 > > issues, as well as of the charges.
 >
 >   All true, there was a "shakeout" in the legal system which caused
 > huge debates over the fairness and objectivity of it. Everything
 > has settled down since the commercialization of the list and
 > since the big players have left.

Well, gee, perhaps the commercialization of the Ext list is as much
responsible for the end of the shakeout period than the use of clever
list software.

Since it's traditional to push the analogy to ridicule: I'd be more
than happy to run a "$10,000 or 100 Tacky Tokens per year" mailing
list. I'm guessing that I'll see very few debates on my list about the
fairness of the system.

 >   With much heat and light generated in the meantime which is fine
 > for some people, but irritating to others. Keeping in mind Coase's
 > Theorem and Spontaneous Order, Harry and I are going beyond the
 > idea of PPLs by attempting to create list software which allows
 > 'personal justice', filtering, reputations, etc. We personally
 > believe that the whitewater of noise which is out there now will
 > become a tsunami when Joe Sixpack gets his 'entitled' account. The
 > only way to defend yourself from this assault in cyberspace will be
 > intelligent communications software.

Is intelligence alone a panacea? or is harsh economic reality really
the motivating factor on the Ext list? I've seen a hundred posts in
the last few days about the awful, horrible pay-per-byte services that
doom the free Internet, but it doesn't change the fact that I'll think
twice about paying two cents for the privilege of saying my two cents.

nathan