Quantum Computers

Ken Kirksey writes
> lost in the discussion on quantum computers and cryptography.  Can
> anyone give me the Reader's Digest Condensed Version (TM) of the
> theory behind quantum computers, or maybe point me to a good journal
> article or two?  Many thanks,

No readers digest version.  It is very heavy going, and
any simplified version is necessarily misleading.

The key articles are

D. Deutsch, Quantum Theory, the Church--Turing
Principle and the Universal Quantum Computer, Proc. R. Soc. Lond.,
Vol. A400, pp. 96--117 (1985).

E. Bernstein and U. Vazirani, Quantum Complexity
Theory, Proc. 25th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computation, pp.  11--20
(1993).

Set aside a long time for understanding them.  If your
quantum theory is weak, you will need to brush up on
quantum theory first.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our	 |
property, because of the kind of animals that we |         James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from |
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.     |         [email protected]