IMP (was Re: ecash-info (fwd))

   re: IMP-interest folks
   [...]  it seemed unlikely that a group of such hobbyists could
   build a real digicash system while avoiding Chaum's work!

Well, the IMP people weren't tring to build digicash, but rather do
internet commerce.  Cash and anonymity were discussed, but were not
considered central to the program.

   (2.) It seems to me that that e-cash, contrary to the status quo's thinking,
   > is *critical* to internet commerce.

   Of course crypto and true digital cash is central....this is our whole
   message, nearly.

When I responded directly to the original message, I claimed that it
wasn't central to internet commerce.  I was speaking there about the
realpolitik of deployment.  Internet commerce can and might happen
without anonymity.

That doesn't make it any less central to my own and other's desire
that it be present and available.

Eric