Re: to The Atlantic

Lefty says:
> >the DES algorithm it approved for commercial usage is breakable by the NSA
>
> Is this a fact or a supposition?

Its a fact that it can currently break DES, yes. I'll admit that I
have no direct proof, but I would imagine that since DES crackers can
be built for only $1mil or so, they almost certainly have them or
things even more sophisticated. After all, DES is widely used, and
their job is to break encrypted traffic.

I would not agree that there is a "back door" in DES, however. None is
needed anyway.

Perry