Re: Faster way to deescrow Clipper

> >   ...not be able to decrypt the communications, but they still get your ID.
> >"your ID"?  You mean your phone's ID.  Goodness gracious, if you were
> >a criminal, you wouldn't go out and steal someone else's Clipper
> >phone, would you?  Let's not get too high tech here, just because we
> >have the ability.
>
> Or you could just steal someone else's LEAF, by keeping a copy of it, and use
> that for spoofing.  Then you could have a valid IV too...

The IV is session-dependent, and both ends generate it.
We don't know where in the LEAF the chipid is, but if they
use a fixed format and don't do a key-dependent permutation of the LEAF bits,

it shouldn't be hard to figure out (unless the checksum comes first
and they use a block-chaining encryption, in which case you know you lose.)

That would let you create rogue LEAFs with known users' chipids,
which would be interesting - does anyone want to make 65536 calls to
[email protected] :-) ?  (Yeah, it's not quite that simple.)
(If you do need a lot of data, cellphones are a good source,
since the cellphone operators' chipids are likely to be wellknown,
though rapidly tapped.)

Paranoid-speculation-mode: Of course, if you can forge LEAFs with
their chipid, they can forge LEAFs with yours, which could be used
to manufacture interesting evidence....

			Bill