Re: NYT article

Does anyone find the following somewhat distorted:  "...White House
and Justice Department officials have argued forcefully that is a
necessary information-age compromise between the constitutional
right to privacy and the *traditional* powers of law enforcement
officials."   [my emphasis]  If wiretapping laws were passed
in 1968, I don't consider that *traditional*.  Is Markoff speaking
about surveillance in exceedingly general terms?

Paul E. Baclace
[email protected]