Cyberspace is by nature crime-free

"Bradley W. Dolan" <[email protected]>:
> [Seabrook's rant against flaming]
> project, told me, "You won't have a Waco in Texas, you'll have
> a Waco in cyberspace.  You could have a cult, speaking to each
> other through encryption, that suddenly erupts in society -
> well programmed, well organized - and then suddenly disappears
> again."  Therefore, in an effort to balance the good and bad

Excuse me? Will the cyberspace Waco abuse children with paddles in basement
'punishment rooms' - maybe by posting their names to alt.basement.punishment?
Will the cyberspace Waco be able to _physically_ intimidate people into acting
against their will?

The major difference between cyberspace and the world of brick houses is that
no _physical_ crime is possible - no matter what anti-porn kooks say, you
_can't_ rape with words; or murder, or torture or kidnap. Even the pedophiles
(98.3356% of the Net's population, apparently) cannot go beyond _communication_
on the Net... Even if one agrees with the debatable criminality of consensual
sex with minors, the act itself has to be _physical_! The crime cannot be in
discussing it. What's the FBI going to do? Jail people for _talking_ about
murder, or jail _murderers_?

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                    They came for the Jews,
                                    and I was silent because I was not a Jew;
[email protected]                        They came for the Trade Unionists,
                                     and I did not protest, because I did not
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410                        belong to a trade union;
Voicemail +91 11 3760335      They came for the Catholics, and I said nothing
                                                because I was not a Catholic;
H 34C Saket                                        And then they came for me.
New Delhi                            There was no one left to say anything...
INDIA                                                   ----Father Niemoeller