RE: Censoring the Internet

From: Nobody  <[email protected]>

Many "electronic democracy" fans worship
the results of opinion polls rather than thinking for themselves;
they get truly pissed by the possibility that their lemming
mentality could be manipulated.
But all the convicing rhetoric in the world doesn't
finally decide these issues; in the end its what specifically
we do with our cyberspace technology that will decide how free
we are in cyberspace.

I read a statement somewhere to the effect of:
When we are faced with a disease, we shouldn't say "what is wrong with
the germ"?  Rather we should be asking ourselves "what should we be
doing to prevent it from affecting us"?
Rather than achieving a grasp of methods&means to help themselves,
lemmings will instead complain about the need for "good" leadership.

This is a good summary from "Nobody" on what I have noticed from my
very recent forays into Usenet newsgroups (and other places).

Blanc