Re: COCOM is dead (Was: PGP in Australia)

Joe writes:
> > There are no restrictions on importing crypto into Australia, there are
> > some on export (hardware only) due to COCOM.
>
> I thought COCOM was dead as of last March or thereabouts.
> Did a replacement committee ever get formed?

I was surprised not to see any discussion of this on the net,
by my newspaper had found its way into the recycle bin before
I got around to typing in the article or seeing if the Times or
Wall St. Journal had an article with genuine details.

What I remember seeing was that COCOM was disbanded, but the member
governments were going to maintain the rules for a while on their own
until they're sure the Commies are really gone and not just hiding
under the bed somewhere and there aren't any other convenient enemies
on the horizon.  So it's a good start, but doesn't change any laws directly.
On the other hand, with countries like Germany and Colombia legalizing
or decriminalizing marijuana, who knows?

		Bill