Encrypted databases

In _Applied Cryptography,_ Bruce Schneier describes a method of encrypting
a database in such a way that it's easy to get individual entries but
"impossible" to get the whole database. Basically, the first field is a
hash of the individual's last name, the second is encrypted (symmentrical
algorithm) w/ that name and contains the rest of the info.

Are there any readily available implementations of this or anything
equivalent? I've a use for such, but I'm not likely to have the time to
start writing anything like that for a month or two.

Thanks,

b&

--
[email protected], Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): Protect your privacy; oppose Clipper.