Re: Cypherpunks' mail database does exist (fwd)

> > It does my heart good to hear someone use the term 'grok' -- I don't
> > hear many folks use that term very much anymore.   ,-)
> >
> > - paul
> >

> What does it mean?

You _would_ ask.

grok  /grok/, var. /grohk/ [from the novel _Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land_,
by Robert A. Heinlein, where it is a Martian word meaning literally
'to drink' and metaphorically 'to be one with'] vt. 1. To understand,
usually in a global sense. Connotes intimate and exhaustive knowledge.
Contrast zen, similar supernal understanding as a single brief flash.
See also glark. 2. Used of programs, may connote merely sufficient
understanding. "Almost all C compilers grok the void type these days."

(From "The New Hackers Dictionary," edited by Eric Raymond, adapted
from the original Internet "jargon file")

- paul