Stealth Crypto (Was: Re: Andy Grove on Clipper)

At  2:28 AM 06/20/94 -0400, Ed Carp [Sysadmin] wrote:

>I've read about (with interest) the so-called "stealth viruses", and how they
>adapt to their environment - might crypto do the same thing?

There is no way to to translate the idea that I can see. Stealth
viruses work by patching the interrupts that AV programs watch-
(on a PC- Macs and other platforms are conceptually different)
INT 21h, etc. and the file attributes repoting mechanisms
in DOS, and lie. It is hardware specific, and I don't see anyway to
translate the concept to a networked environment in order to fool
'traffic cops.'

I wonder about the mutation engine concept, though...

-j