Cellular Phone Monitoring Made EZ!

	In light of the recent cellular phone monitoring discussions:
check out the most recent issue of _2600_, Spring 1994. It has a product
review for the "Cellular Telephone Experimenters Kit", $125 from Network
Wizards in Menlo Park, CA. Given this kit and a OKI-900 cellular phone
($450 new, $300 used), you can do wonderous things. The kit connects to
the phone and a standard PC RS-232 port, and lets you control the phone
via your computer and do all sorts of things. The kit comes with a
C API for controlling the phone, so you're not limited by what software
comes with the kit. The author of the article listed these things that he
programmed in a day or so:

	* Scan for a paging channel and display the messages. If a voice
channel is assigned, go to that channel and listen to the call.
	* Scan for voice channels and listen to active channels.
	* Scan OMNICELL channels and listen to active channels.
	* While listening to a call, display the voice channel messages.
	* Automatically follow handoffs.
	* Decode DTMF, change the volume or audio source.
	* Automatically mute the audio and stop monitoring when the call
is released.

	Possible things he said you could do with more time:
	* Log all messages and call information for certain cellular
phone numbers. You could log paging channel messages, calls places and
recieved, call durations, DTMF digits dialed, cell channels used, etc.
	* Create a "spectrum" display of the cellular band by scanning
all channels and recording the signal strength.
	* With a map of cell sites in your area, physically track a phone
as it moves from cell to cell.

	The article is interesting in itself. Check it out. Spring 94
issue of _2600_. I'm typing in the article for a friend, so I'll mail it
to anyone who wants a copy....

Michael Brandt Handler                                <[email protected]>
Philadelphia, PA                            PGP v2.6 public key on request
Boycott PSI, Inc. & Canter & Siegel    <<NSA>> 1984: We're Behind Schedule