Re: Cellular Telephone Experimenter's Kit (2600 article)

On Wed, 22 Jun 1994, Jim Sewell wrote:

> <In mail Michael Handler said:>
> > Cellular Telephone Experimenters Kit
> > $125, Available for OKI 900
>
>   Cell providers should be scared of this.  I saw the OKI 900
>   the first time on a news clip on either one of those "Educational
>   type" shows or a CNN-(like?) news clip.  The typical nerd was there
>   with billions of wires coming out of it saying how simple it was
>   to hook it up and after it was wired to his computer he could
>   simply decode another ID and rewrite his phone with that id and
>   Joe Schmoe would get the bill.  Made it sound VERY simple to
>   make the world think you were Joe.

	Fear not, Jim! Reread the article: it says that the CTEK cannot
be used to fake a bogus ESN (this controls billing). As it says, the CTEK
is more useful as a cellular monitor than a tool for fraud.

	Of course, this doesn't rule out a very good hardware hacker
playing with the ROMs in it....

Michael Brandt Handler                                <[email protected]>
Philadelphia, PA                            PGP v2.6 public key on request
Boycott PSI, Inc. & Canter & Siegel    <<NSA>> 1984: We're Behind Schedule
 "With opiates of silicon / Big Brother schemes to rule the nation" -- BR