Hardware RNG's

Perry Metzger asks if the hardware random-number generator I
described in a post just before the list crashed could be
modified to use serial output.

Sure.  It was just easier to use the parallel port.  I know
the original IBM PC stupidly omitted bidirectional ports,
but they are available now.

Roger Bryner asks if there is any ready-made hardware RNG
device.

Yes.  A few years ago, at least, AT&T was selling such a
chip.  The data book says:

"The T7001 Random Number Generator (RNG) integrated circuit
produces random bits based on the phase jitter of a free-
running oscillator.  The output data stream is truly random,
not pseudo random.  The T7001 RNG is processed in CMOS
technology, requires a single 5 V supply, and is supplied in
a 32-pin plastic DIP."

The output is 536-bit numbers, available in 8-bit bytes.

There are probably others available; I haven't looked
lately.

John A. Thomas
[email protected]
[email protected]