Re: Sternlight

> Has anyone else noticed that David Sternlight has been quiet for the past
> two weeks or so?
>
> I hope he's not like you-know-who in that mentioning his name summons the
> fiend.
>
> ObCrypto: Maybe he has decided that PGP 2.6 is okay, and now has had the
>           wind removed from his sails...   Doubt it.
>
> -Bill

No, Sternlight has in fact posted a number of incisive articles--which
I publically agreed with--in the cpsr and eff groups. His analysis of
the public funding of a "free lane on the information highway" was
accurate (he's opposed). And Sternlight and Carl Kadie have been
debating the competing approaches to 'wiring the home,' with
Sternlight arguing for a common carrier, "video dialtone" approach
instead of a TCI "500 channels of what we think you want" approach.

[Don't agree or disagree _here_, as I'm only giving a thumbnail sketch
of the debate.]

I find myself agreeing with some things Sternlight says, and I
certainly find polite debate with him more rewarding than exchanging
stupid insults. (Not saying Bill did here, of course, just saying many
people seem to think debating with Sternlight means calling him clever
names like "Sterndark," "Sterno," and "UnProfessor." Not quite.)

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero