Re: Regional Lists

> A month or so back, there was a brief discussion talking about the
> production of a cypherpunks net.book.  Out of that discussion I talked
> about the fact that I (would) have a workstation available to provide a
> platform for various mailing lists if they were needed.
>
> On of the suggestions that was made by Eric was that it might be a 'good
> thing'{tm} to creat some regional cypherpunk lists to facilitate the
> planning of physical meetings, to make announcements about speakers, or
> whatever.
>
> In any case, I have the computer up and running, and am now in a position
> to create whatever cypherpunk mailing lists might be wanted or needed.
> So, does anyone have anything they'd want a mailing list for?
>
> ____        Robert A. Hayden       <=> [email protected]

I know of, and am supposedly subscribed to, several such sub-lists:

-meeting plans, or somesuch, devoted to planning regional meetings

-DC-Nets (Austin...and I may also be on the "Austin-Cyperpunks" list,
or at least I recall sending in my subscribe notice a year or so ago)

-Hardware Punks (for those interested in RNGs, phones, boxes, etc.)

-LA meetings (Jay Prime Positive)

-DC area meetings (I think this is one I got on, but maybe not)

-Lib Tech or Tech Lib (Nick Szabo)

(Sorry for not having the precise names...the lists are mostly so
dormant that their names are a blur. Everytime a new mailing sublist
was announced, I got on it.)

All of these specialized mailing lists have nil traffic, for whatever
reasons. Draw your own conclusions.

The "Cypherpunks Book" is another matter, one we've discussed. Having
a "workstation" available is absolutely the least important thing
involved.

Vincent Cate and others are already doing a fine job of making URLs
available, and the writing of book-length stuff is not something
easily done. I know, because I'm still trying to finish a book-length
document filled with fine-granularity stuff (a different task than
linking some number of essays and articles together with URLs for
Mosaic/Lynx browsers to access). (About 300K of text.)

I hope these blunt remarks do not cause more cries that I am being a
wet blanket.

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero