(None)

[email protected] (Bob MorrisG) writes:

> I've heard rumors through the years that CIA/NSA/whoever can aim a
> parabolic antenna at your window, read the electronic pulses surrounding
> your computer, and thusly determine what you are typing.  Is there any
> truth to this?
     If this is a reference to the TEMPEST attack, yes, they can. From
what I hear, it's trivially easy for them to do, because they have The
Right Equipment. Rumor also suggests that that The Right Equipment isn't
so difficult to come by. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of
TEMPEST, but I do know that the government requires all of their computers
(used at any level of security above none) to be TEMPEST shielded. This
tells us its a real concern.

     There are other ways to beat TEMPEST, like making it damn near
impossible to get close enough to the computer in question to get a
reading.

                                        --Jeff
--
======  ======    [email protected]+
  ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|