Re: Windows for Workgroups 3.11

----------
| From: Derek Atkins  <[email protected]>
| To: Andrzej Bursztynski  <[email protected]>
| Cc:  <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Windows for Workgroups 3.11
| Date: Wednesday, July 06, 1994 7:19AM
|
| > Just wonder if anyone had a closer look at the "Advanced security" option
| > built in the Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11. You can use a soft
| > of a public/private key when sending a mail via fax (Class 1) driver
| > Micrsoft Fax at Work. The key seems to be quite short and I wonder
if that's
| > a real secure solution comparing eg. to PGP?
|
| If it really is public key, and if the keys really are quite short,
| then its probably really *not* secure.  Remember than a 129-digit
| (~425 bit) RSA key was broken in 8 months!  A 384-bit RSA key is
| therefore not secure!
|
| -derek

The 129 digit key was broken in 8 calendar months and not 8 CPU months,
correct? If so then for most purposes a 129 digit key is more than
adequate. If you are faxing a contract to someone then if the deal
isn't signed in 8 months the odds are that information about it will
leak from a different source than your fax. If I had information that I
wanted to be secure for several years than I would consider using many
more digits than 129.

As to Windows for Workgroups 3.11, I don't know anything about the
security features that are included.

Mike.

Mike Markley <[email protected]>

I'm not a Microsoft spokesperson. All opinions expressed here are mine.