Re: Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Perry says:

| Mike Markley says:
| > The 129 digit key was broken in 8 calendar months and not 8 CPU months,
| > correct? If so then for most purposes a 129 digit key is more than
| > adequate. If you are faxing a contract to someone then if the deal
| > isn't signed in 8 months the odds are that information about it will
| > leak from a different source than your fax.
|
| This isn't true. If you are signing the contract digitally, for
| instance, you would want to be sure that no one could forge your
| signature to change the terms after the fact -- a few months isn't
| enough for such purposes, only something that will last for fifteen or
| twenty years is okay.
|
| Perry

I'll definitely agree that for something as binding as a signature that
I would want to have a very large key. For daily communication it seems
that fairly weak keys should be more than adequate as long as they
can't be broken in a reasonable amount of time. I'm  interested in what
most of the people on this list would consider a reasonable amount of
time though. It seems that the average person doesn't have adversaries
with the know-how and computing power to break even a 64 digit key let
alone a 129 digit key. Consider the group of people that broke the RSA
key, they would not fit the profile of the average person, let alone
the average computer user. I doubt if the local police department here
could convince the NSA that they need to crack my e-mail because I
might be conspiring to commit some illegal act and I doubt that they
could put my e-mail out on the net saying, "here's some encoded data,
does anybody know what it says?" Right now that's the only two ways
that I could think of for someone to get some encrypted data unencrypted.

Mike

Mike Markley <[email protected]>

I'm not a Microsoft spokesperson. All opinions expressed here are mine.