Re: Mastercard, Visa, Access, Barclaycard, Amex, JCB ...

At 11:20 AM 07/07/94 -0400, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
>The credit card swipers send the entire transaction in for both
>approval and reporting.  I'd imagine that the account number, merchant
>number, and transaction amount are all there, since that's all needed.
>Whether or not they encrypt the data I don't know.

I believe modern card readers for at least MC/Visa use some form of
encryption, but for backwards compatibility the central offices also
work unencrypted. In the hotel I used to work in, the card reader
certainly didn't encrypt.

-j
--
"Blah Blah Blah"
Jamie Lawrence                                  <[email protected]>