Re: Whew! The dangers of posting to Usenet

> Wowie zowie, as we used to say.
>
> There's an odd new group called "alt.gathering.rainbow" which has had
> many highly-personal messages posted to "the Family." I'm not sure who
> the Rainbower are, but I gather (pun intended) that they are some sort
> of international band of hippies, gypsies, and newage flower power
> people. I'm sure one or more of you will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> What's of ObList relevance is that many of them seem oblivous to the
> fact that their posts are readable by the world....see the one below
> and you'll see why I don't think Ms. Yamada knows her post to her
> "sisters and brothers" is actually readable by us all. My hunch is
> that a lot of newcomers have just gotten on the Net and are unclear on
> the concepts.
>
> I could be wrong. Maybe her account at Mindvox is a cut-out. Maybe she
> knows but doesn't care. Judge for yourself:

  [Snip]

I did a telnet to the full address (less her name), and logged in
as guest.  She appears to be legit, so one could conclude she
doesn't care...although, truth be told, her message strikes me as
a reasonable example of 'obscurity'.

I was rather impressed by the services Mindvox offers...you might
want to take a tour...

Regards,

Dave