Why to Care about Others' Security

Tim May says-

> Personally, my main interests is in ensuring the Feds don't tell me I
> can't have as much security as I want to buy. I don't share the
> concern quoted above that we have to find ways to give other people
> security.

I can think of a couple reasons to want other people to be more secure.

1) The more people protect their privacy, the less profit there is in
privacy invasion, so that there will be fewer people doing it and
the techniques and infrastructure of spying might develop more
slowly.

2) The more people protect their privacy, the less privacy afficionados
will stand out from the crowd.

3) The more people buy privacy, the more developed the market for
privacy techniques and services, and the more private ways of doing
things will be available and easy to use.

-fnerd

spam is in the eye of the beholder (splat)