Re: GUT and P=NP

> Ken Kirksey says:
> > I was reading Hawking's _Black Holes & Baby Universes_ and an interesting
> > question struck me:  If a Grand Unified Theory exists, would it not
> > prove P=NP to be true?
>
> No.
>
> .pm

Ok Perry, I am not going to let you off that easily. Could you elucidate why
you feel that such a GUT would not solve this problem even in principle? If
a GUT could answer definitively whether there were a many-worls interpretation
this would definately address at least peripheral aspects of the P=NP problem.
It would also, necessarily, describe some limitations on computations and
problem complexity.

When one considers that there is no clear definition or proof of the exact
solutions methods to prove P=NP it seems premature to posit such a definate
answer. While it might not be true that it would solve the problem in toto
it may be true that a clarification of the boundary conditions might make
the solution easier by reducing the number of choices of methodology one
might look at.

I am interested on why you feel a GUT would have no effect, at least, on
the boundary conditions of the problem?

Take care.