RE:

From: David K. Merriman

It has been brought up on the Cypherpunks mailing list that Microsoft is
proposing to include public-key escrow as a *built-in* "function" of future
products - Chicago and Daytona have been specifically mentioned.

No, this is not correct.  It was speculation from Tim May on possible
developments, based on his interpretation of recent events and on email
which I sent to him.  This email was referring to the fact that his
concerns notwithstanding,  it is not an easy thing to implement a
privately-held key escrow system into a desktop operating system, that
Microsoft is not talking about implementing a 'software Clipper', and
is presently only *examining* the international ramifications of
software key-escrow and non-escrowed strong encryption security.

Please give it this question the benefit of the doubt and postpone your
conclusions about this until I can get an official statement, thanks.

Blanc