Denning and Walker on SKE and International Escrow

Somebody (who can speak up if he wants to) sent me this advance
program...looks like deja vu all over again.

I've elided all the talks other than those of interest to this debate.

>        International Cryptography Institute 1994: Global Challenges
>
>                          September 22-23, 1994
>                       Ritz Carlton, Washington, DC
>
>                               Presented by
>             The National Intellectual Property Law Institute
>
>The International Cryptography Institute will focus on problems and
>challenges associated with the use of cryptography within nations and
>for international communications.  The Institute will address such
>questions as:  What are the different national policies and regulations
>governing cryptography and how might these evolve?  What cryptographic
>technologies are on the market in different countries, what is being
>used, and what is it being used for?  What problems is cryptography
>causing law enforcement?  What are the requirements of businesses and
>other organizations?  What are the new trends in cryptography and what
>will be their impact on society?  What efforts are leading toward an
>international cryptography framework?  The Institute is for government
>officials, industry leaders, policy makers and analysts, researchers,
>and users of cryptographic technologies.
>

>8:45-9:00 Opening Remarks
>Dorothy E. Denning, Chair of Program
>James Chandler, President, National Intellectual Property Law Institute
>4:00-4:30
>Experiments in International Cryptography and Software Key Escrow
>Stephen T. Walker, Trusted Information Systems, Inc.
>
>4:30-5:00
>International Escrowed Encryption
>Dorothy E. Denning, Georgetown University
>John Droge, Mykotronx, Inc.
>11:30-12:00
>World-Wide Availability of Cryptography Products
>David Balenson, Trusted Information Systems, Inc.
>
>12:00-1:30 Lunch with Keynote
>Louis J. Freeh, Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation (invited)

Actually, all the other papers deal with the same ball of wax...it
looks like some serious discussions about "the legitimate needs of law
enforcement" and whatnot have *already occurred*. My guess is that key
escrow is already part of the New World Order (not to sound like a
conspiracy theorist) and that's why the export folks are making
comments to software companies about key escrow.

One big happy police state.

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero