Re: Children and the Net

> > Mike Duvos writes:
> >  > Had it not been for the fact that having children covered with
> >  > scars, welts, and bruises is not considered child abuse in the
> >  > state of Texas,
> >
> > I know it's chic to refer to Texas as the last bastion of barbarian
> > living, but I'd like to see some citation for the above if you really
> > believe it's true.  Note also that I've heard tell kids get beat up in
> > other states too, though that might just be rumor.
>
> I'd like to throw my $0.02 into this, too.  I've lived in Texas for most
> of my life, and I can assure you that what Mike Duvos says is most certainly
> *not* true!

The behavior of the Branch Davidians towards their children is well
documented, both by child welfare workers in Texas and by sworn
testimony of former members.

"I've lived in Texas and therefore none of this is true..." is neither
relevant, accurate, nor compelling.

The Branch Davidians were proclaimed "cleared" of charges of child
abuse by Texas authorities in the presense of physical evidence which
would have been considered abuse in most other states.

Declaring that one has lived in Texas does not change any of this, nor
does it change the well-documented statistics on corporal punishment in
the Texas public school system, in which Texas is the nation's leader.

     [email protected]     $    via Finger.                      $