Encryption (fwd)

Received this in the mail today.

--Mike

Forwarded message:
From [email protected] Fri Aug  5 10:07:33 1994
From: [email protected] (Eric Jacksch)
Subject: Encryption
To: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 07:04:07 -0400

Dear Sir:

I read with interest your article in July/August 94 Internet World regarding
the CLIPPER chip.

I presently operate a small systems consulting and software development
business in Toronto, Canada.  I have a background in Criminology, and an
avid interest in data security.  With the present state of technology, and
the trends with regard to industrial espionage and invasion of personal privacy,
I believe that individuals and businesses should have the ability to
protect their electronic data with the best availible technology.

I am extremely concerned with recent events in the United States and the
apparent attempts to handicap the computer security industry.  It bothers me
that the U.S. administration wants this type of access to encrypted data. While
I certainly support our law enforcement agencies in many of their noble efforts,
I have difficulty with the implications of the CLIPPER chip with respect to
personal privacy and I find it an alarming precident.

As a Canadian business, I am not effected by the same repressive export
restrictions faced by U.S. manufacturers of encryption products.  As such, I am
exploring the role that we could take with regard to this issue.  I am
interested in contacting Americans, particulary in the encryption area,
who would perhaps like to see state-of-the-art encryption products availible
from Canada for the international market.

If you have any suggestions, or know anyone that I could contact, it would be
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Eric Jacksch
P.O. Box 27539 Yorkdale