Re: CIA eating internet email & usenet news

On Wed, 3 Aug 1994, Brian Lane wrote:

> > See this week's Computerworld.  Anyone have a scanner they can post this
> > article up with?  I'm not up to typing it...
>
>   What do you mean by email monitoring, their own or ours? Maybe we
> should bombard them with encrypted copies of the Digital Telephony bill?

Don't know for sure.  That article was a bit too vague as tot he exact
nature of the data vacuuming.  I suspect however that while Computerworld
may be quite vague all by its self, the CIA wasn't too talkative as to
what they'd eat up.  However, you can bet that any TCP/IP packets sent
through their hardware will duplicate themselves on their hard drives.

It's certain that they will eat up usenet news.  They mentioned that the
reason that this system is up is so that they can do research, but in such
a way as to prevent traffic/question analysis of their querries so as to
prevent others from finding out just what they're working on.  Who knows,
maybe they'll get accounts on internet providers or use anon mail to post
their querries, but "They're here!"

I certainly wouldn't put it past them to read any email they can though. :-(

| + ^ + || ' . . .   .   . .   .             Ray  (Arsen)  Arachelian        ||
|  \|/  ||   . . .  ' . ' .  : . .           [email protected]        ||
| + v + || . oOOo /o.O\ oOOo :. : ..    |A| "And bugs to kill before I sleep"||
        /      .    :   . ' : '         |D|     This signature pannel is    /
       /  The Next Bug to kill(tm)      ---     now open.                  /