Re: RemailNet

> >There might be at least one good reason for NOT going overseas on
> >that first leg.  The NSA's charter restricts it to international
> >operations.  By making that first leg a foreign one, you've made
> >your transmission, the one with your address visible, fair game
> >for them.
>
> In theory, yes. But I've heard rumors from Canadian Bell people that
> their American counterparts routinely call them up to ask that they
> "throw switches" that they cannot legally throw themselves.
>
> That, plus well documented history, is enough for me to always assume
> that they *don't* follow the rules.

Yeah, and I got a recent report that "Long Lines" and other microwave
tower lines were deliberately routed so as to cross over Indian
Reservation lands in several places. Why? Allegedly because Indian
lands are legally treated as "sovereign nations" and the (purported)
rules against NSA listening could be ignored.

And of course we've all read Bamford's account of the UK-USA
Agreement, in which the UK spies on us and we spy on them, and all the
legal niceties are thus met.

Someday, when many people act as remailers, it won't matter as much.

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero