Thus Spake Thoth

Thus spake Thoth:

> Tim May wrote:
> > at least use a digitally-signed pseudonym, so we can know we're
> > talking to the same person.
>
> Done!  I will be "thoth", keyid AFB8AB41.

Congratulatons, now your words, wherever they come from, will likely
carry more weight, especially as your rep increases (or it could
decrease...).

By the way, for the other people who claimed I never use the tools I
advocate, I *am* BlackNet. This is not a secret, but not everyone may
know I created the key pair used to communicate with BlackNet, at
least the original one (someone else created at least one additional
BlackNet, spoofed the creation date so as to appear earlier than _my_
BN key, and spread the key around to the standard key servers! Hilarious!).

> Perhaps my apparent frustration is caused by the fact that I've become
> convinced that crypto-anarchy will not come to pass (I posted a
> lenghtly scenario earlier of that I think the future will be like).

I read that. No time to reply, yet. I think well-written scenarios
like that are very useful. You may even be right.

> I think that writing and thinking is the only thing any of us can do
> that will have impact.  The only coding effort I can see paying off is
> helping to make PGP better.  Maybe that's what I'll do.
>
> Thoth

I'm not very pessimistic, actually. So long as I don't try to change
the world by force-fitting a solution, things will eventually evolve
in interesting directions. Given strong crypto, certain things seem
almost inevitable. Trying to commercialize too early may be a bad
idea, though...sort of like herding cats, as the saying goes.

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero