Revisionist History of the US....:( (fwd)

Jim choate <[email protected]> writes:
> I am not going to name names but I would like to address the comment that
> several folks have made (or agreed with) that the US has gone 200 years
> w/o a major upheaval.
>
> Maybe I am taking a alternate History than you folks but I believe the
> Civil War can be considered a major internal upheaval and it occured
> 4 score and 7 years (87 years) after the birth of our country. Since then
> we have also had the civil rights upheaval (if you don't want to consider
> deaths of folks like MLK major that is your business) in the late 50's and
> early 60's as well. Especially when you consider the political and social
> turmoil that occured because of the Vietnam War.

We might also add Shay's Rebellion, Bacon's Rebellion, the Hudson
River Renters' Uprising, the Pullman Strike, the Homestead Strike, the
Ludlow Massacre, the Lawrence Textile Strikes, etc., etc.  Many of
these were full-scale insurrections.  This country's "progress" is
really just a series of grudging concessions made by authoritarian
power structures to various nearly catastrophic crises.

> What I find most interesting about this chronology is that the
> upheavals occur approximately every hundred years since our
> founding. The fact that the present problems we are having w/ the
> administration recognizing and the general populace demaning their
> civil liberties/rights is apparently early by approximately 70
> years. Perhaps the present administration is really as progressive
> as they claim...:) Take care.

Good observation about periodicity, Jim, but I'd say that the typical
span is much shorter than 100 years.

   - Mark -

--
Mark Chen