Mandated Forfeiture

Responding to msgs by:

Jim Hart:

Thus, the upshot of these so-called "privacy" regulations is to
destroy our last shreds of privacy against government, and calm
us into blindly getting even more of the details of our
personal lives into the mainframes of the major government
agencies and credit reporting agenices........

Timothy C. May:

. . . . Suffice it to say  that our credential-happy society is
getting very little real benefit  for demanding credentials at
every turn and is instead providing  precise dossier material
for those who keep dossiers.

The regulations regarding privacy and the demands for them by
the 'credential-happy' society leaves me with the impression
that this phenomena has the role of acting as substitute for
something, as any time that the voting public makes demands
from the big G it indicates a need to compensate for a sense of
inadequacy relative to some area of their social co-existence.

In this case it is as though the demand for personal
information & credentials replaces  sensitivity to, &
understanding of, human nature.  As services become more
automated the opportunity for human contact is diminished,
while the need to certify the verity of remote data becomes
more critical.  When the information has been centralized, it
has the effect of displacing personal responsibility away from
the individual up to the State, as the State becomes the
official keeper of the data.

And how else could the governors be expected to fulfill their
obligation of keeping the peace and general welfare, if they
cannot gather & keep information on all their remote & moving
targets?  When the centralized databank gatherers have the
required info, then the general populace expects to feel safe
that everyone can be dealt with  -  by their Official
Caretakers, sinced it cannot be done by themselves. ("I don't
know you, but I can still keep track of you and therefore keep
you under control, if you get out of hand.")

These things self-perpetuate:  the more that one group gives it
up, the more that the other takes it up & away; the more
inadequate that those who abdicate from responsibility feel,
the more they look to their governors to substitute their
overriding supervisory powers.  The less that the governed
exercise their abilities to know themselves and each other, the
less capable they become in the art of doing so, and the more
convinced they become of the necessity for mandated forfeiture
of  personal data.

When you don't live by reason, you must live by recourse to
coercion.

Blanc